Had this at a 4 star restaurant in my teens. Loved it so much, Mom got the recipe from the chef so she could make it for me. It has become a favorite of my kids, too. Now they know how to make it! This is not your lite chicken Marsala variety! Serve with oven-warmed French bread.
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, pounded 1/2-inch thick
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 16 capers, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup water
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup white Zinfandel wine
- 1 ⅓ cups heavy cream
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Preheat an oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).
- 2 Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pan fry the chicken breasts until golden brown on both sides, 5 to 7 minutes per side.
- 3 Place 2 ounces of mozzarella cheese on each chicken breast, then sprinkle parsley and capers on top. Reduce heat to medium, cover pan, and allow cheese to melt, about 3 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a large baking dish, and cover with aluminum foil.
- 4 Keep the chicken warm in the preheated oven while you finish the sauce.
- 5 Whisk together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl; set aside. Cook and stir the garlic over medium-low heat in the same skillet used to cook the chicken until fragrant, scraping up any bits of chicken and cheese, about 1 minute. Pour in the white Zinfandel wine, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the heavy cream and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce begins to thicken. Gradually stir the cornstarch mixture into the cream sauce until thickened. Season with salt and black pepper.
- 6 To serve, pour the cream sauce over the chicken.
- Calories 842.6
- Carbohydrate 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 247.4 mg
- Fat 67.2 g
- Fiber 0.4 g
- Protein 42.5 g
- Saturated Fat 34.2 g
- Sodium 650.5 mg
- Sugar 0.8 g