No sugar in this recipe, but I promise you won’t miss it. You can find agave nectar in health food stores. Also makes 20 great tarts.
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup agave nectar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ lemons, zested and juiced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 baked pie crust
- 4 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar, or more to taste
- 1 Whisk water, 3/4 cup agave nectar, cornstarch, flour, zest and juice from 2 1/2 lemons, and salt together in a saucepan; bring to a boil just until lemon mixture coats a spoon, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir butter into lemon mixture until melted; remove saucepan from heat.
- 2 Whisk 1/2 cup lemon mixture with the egg yolks in a bowl to temper the yolks. Return saucepan to medium-low heat and slowly whisk tempered egg yolks into remaining lemon mixture until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Spoon lemon mixture into pie crust.
- 3 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 4 Beat egg whites and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice in a clean bowl using an electric mixer until soft peaks form; add 2 tablespoons agave nectar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Spoon egg white mixture on top of lemon mixture, making sure to completely cover the lemon mixture.
- 5 Bake in the preheated oven until meringue is golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Calories 297.1
- Carbohydrate 42.9 g
- Cholesterol 110.1 mg
- Fat 12.6 g
- Fiber 2.7 g
- Protein 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Sodium 242.9 mg
- Sugar 26.5 g