Published Jan 7th
Prep 10m Cook 10m Additional - Ready In 20m
Servings 6 Calories 179 kcal
These mashed potato cakes are cooked in the air fryer and have a crunchy topping.
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 egg
- 0.25 teaspoon salt
- 0.25 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- 0.5 cup Italian-style panko bread crumbs
- 0.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 Set air fryer to 380 degrees F (190 degrees C) and allow it to heat while making the potato cakes.
- 2 If using a basket style air fryer, cut two pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil about 4 inches wide and 16 inches long to form a foil sling. Spray the sling with cooking spray. For a tray or rack style air fryer, cut the long edges of the foil to fit the tray or rack.
- 3 Crack egg into a mixing bowl and lightly beat with salt and pepper.
- 4 Mix in cold mashed potatoes, 2 Tablespoons flour, and Cheddar cheese. Divide potato mixture into 6 equal-sized portions.
- 5 Combine panko and 1/2 cup flour on a plate.
- 6 Set a portion of the potato mixture onto the plate and flatten it into a cake, about 4 inches across. Gather up some flour and panko and pat into the top. Place on the oiled foil sling.
- 7 Continue until all the potato cakes are formed and placed on the oiled slings, three patties close together on each sling. Leave enough foil on both ends of the sling to help lift the cakes in and our of the basket. See note. Liberally spray the tops of the cakes with olive oil.
- 8 Carefully lift each sling and place it into the basket of the air fryer, allowing the ends of the foil to come up the sides of the basket. (See Cook's Note).
- 9 Air fry until desired doneness is achieved, about 10 minutes.
- 10 Carefully remove the slings from the air fryer. Use a spatula to place the cakes on a serving plate, sprinkle with chives, and serve.
- Calories 179 kcal
- Carbohydrate 28 g
- Cholesterol 39 mg
- Fiber 1 g
- Protein 4 g
- Saturated Fat 2 g
- Sodium 458 mg
- Fat 5 g