A rich red clam chowder with a spicy kick and plenty of vegetables.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cups clam juice
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon seasoning salt
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams, drained
- 1 (6.5 ounce) can large shrimp, drained
- 1 Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- 2 In a large saucepan over medium heat, place the vegetable oil, onion, carrots and celery. Slowly cook and stir 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Mix in the bacon, potato, clam juice, tomatoes, tomato sauce, white pepper, seasoning salt, parsley, marjoram, garlic powder, thyme, mustard, Cajun seasoning and hot pepper sauce. Reduce heat and simmer until the potato is tender, about 20 minutes.
- 3 Mix in the clams and shrimp. Cook approximately 5 minutes more and serve.
- Calories 182.5
- Carbohydrate 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 49.8 mg
- Fat 8.4 g
- Fiber 2 g
- Protein 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Sodium 547.7 mg
- Sugar 3.5 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.