This is a classic Italian pasta dish. Use fresh basil when it’s in season; at other times, use fresh flat-leaf parsley.
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 pound linguine pasta, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Cook diced bacon in a large saucepan over medium high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of drippings from the pan.
- 2 Add onions, and cook over medium heat about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes; cook 30 seconds. Add canned tomatoes, undrained; simmer 10 minutes, breaking up tomatoes.
- 3 Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of 4 quarts boiling salted water until al dente. Drain.
- 4 Stir basil into the sauce, and then toss with cooked pasta. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Calories 528.5
- Carbohydrate 97.6 g
- Cholesterol 12.1 mg
- Fat 7.5 g
- Fiber 6.3 g
- Protein 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Sodium 701.6 mg
- Sugar 11.8 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.