Buttermilk brings a bit of tang and tenderness and is a great partner to the scones’ sweet-spicy cinnamon flavor. Expect a crunchy golden exterior with crumbly edges and a soft center.
- 2 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons frozen unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¼ cups tart apples - peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- 2 Whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- 3 Quickly shred butter into the flour mixture. Using a fork, gently work butter into the flour until it is the consistency of coarse crumbs.
- 4 Whisk buttermilk and egg together in a small bowl and pour over the flour mixture. Use a spatula to combine until just moist. Gently fold in chopped apples, using your hands if necessary, until it just comes together. Do not over mix the dough.
- 5 Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, divide in half, and pat each half into a 5-inch circle. Using a bench scraper or knife coated with cooking spray, cut into 6 wedges. Place wedges, not touching, on the prepared cookie sheet
- 6 Bake in the preheated oven until light golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool, about 30 minutes.
- 7 Whisk confectioners' sugar, maple syrup, and cinnamon together until a smooth glaze forms. Drizzle over scones and garnish with grated nutmeg.
- Calories 120
- Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 31.6 mg
- Fat 6.4 g
- Fiber 0.5 g
- Protein 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Sodium 289.3 mg
- Sugar 13.9 g