My Step-mom gave me this recipe about 20 years ago and we have incorporated it into our holiday traditions ever since! It may seem strange to put cheese on this, but it really does cut the sweetness enough to serve it with dinner.
- 1 (15 ounce) can apricot halves, drained with juice reserved
- 2 (8 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, drained with juice reserved
- 2 (6 ounce) packages orange flavored Jell-O® mix
- 2 cups hot water
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup shredded Colby longhorn cheese
- 1 Drain and reserve syrup from apricots and pineapple. Add water to equal 2 1/2 cups.
- 2 In a mixing bowl, dissolve the gelatin in hot water. Stir in 1 1/2 cups reserved fruit syrup, set aside to cool.
- 3 To the gelatin mixture, add the apricots, pineapple, nuts and marshmallows. Stir to combine, pour into a lightly oiled 9x13 inch pan and chill until firm.
- 4 In a small sauce pan, combine the sugar, flour, egg, remaining fruit syrup and butter. Heat and stir constantly until thickened. Refrigerate until chilled.
- 5 Whip cream until stiff peaks form; fold into chilled custard mixture. Spread over gelatin, refrigerate, and sprinkle with cheese before serving.
- Calories 384.5
- Carbohydrate 61.7 g
- Cholesterol 52.2 mg
- Fat 14.4 g
- Fiber 1.2 g
- Protein 6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Sodium 165.7 mg
- Sugar 48.8 g