- Published Nov 9th
- Ready In2h 30m
On my first trip to Italy to meet my husband’s family back in 1995, I didn’t speak a word of Italian. But I did learn how to make great ‘dolci’ from his sister, Maria. This was her recipe and now when we go back they ask me to make it!
Authentic Tiramisu Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Authentic Tiramisu for 12 servings:
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 cups brewed espresso, cooled, divided
- 2 (8 ounce) packages mascarpone cheese
- 1 pinch white sugar
- 30 ladyfingers (such as Savoiardi®)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Authentic Tiramisu Cooking Instructions
- Ready In2h 30m
To cook Authentic Tiramisu, you need about 30 minutes of preparation time. The following are the steps to cook Authentic Tiramisu easily:
- 1 Beat 1/2 cup sugar, egg yolks, brandy, and 1 tablespoon espresso together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mascarpone cheese to sugar-egg mixture and beat until well blended, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 2 Beat egg whites and a pinch sugar in a bowl using an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into mascarpone mixture.
- 3 Pour remaining espresso into a shallow dish. Dip 1 side of each ladyfinger into the espresso and arrange on a serving platter in 2 horizontal rows of 6 with 2 1/2 ladyfingers in opposite direction on both ends to form a rectangular shape.
- 4 Spread 1/2 of the mascarpone mixture onto the ladyfinger layer and dust with 1/2 of the cocoa powder. Repeat with remaining ladyfingers dipped in espresso, mascarpone mixture, and cocoa powder. Refrigerate tiramisu until ladyfingers have softened from the espresso and mascarpone mixture, 2 to 3 hours.
- Cook's Note:
- Strong brewed coffee can be used in place of the espresso.
- Editor's Note:
- This recipe contains raw eggs. We recommend that pregnant women, young children, the elderly, and the infirm do not consume raw eggs. Learn more about egg safety from our article, Making Your Eggs Safe.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 324 calories; 21.6 grams of fat; 25.7 grams of carbohydrates; 7.5 grams of protein; 155 milligrams of cholesterol; 84 milligrams of sodium.