Super-easy, delicious, and low-carb version of chiles rellenos. Serve with dollops of low-fat sour cream and pico de gallo or salsa.
- 6 large poblano peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground dried chipotle pepper
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- cooking spray
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, or to taste
- 1 Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place poblano peppers with cut sides down onto the prepared baking sheet.
- 2 Cook under the preheated broiler until poblano pepper skins have blackened and blistered, 5 to 8 minutes. Place blackened peppers into a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Allow peppers to steam as they cool, about 10 minutes.
- 3 Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef, chili powder, garlic, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, paprika, chipotle pepper, salt, and black pepper. Cook and stir until beef is no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add onion; cook until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes with green chiles; cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes more. Let beef mixture cool.
- 4 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- 5 Run water over the poblano peppers to remove skins and discard them. Drain peppers on paper towels. Place a layer of peppers on the bottom of the prepared dish; place 1/3 of the beef mixture on top. Cover with 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend. Repeat layers twice more in the same order.
- 6 Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven until golden brown on top, about 35 minutes.
- Calories 325.3
- Carbohydrate 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 79.6 mg
- Fat 23.3 g
- Fiber 3 g
- Protein 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13 g
- Sodium 694.5 mg
- Sugar 1.6 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.