This is quite possibly the one thing that I am constantly asked to make. This is a ziti with a lot of flavor.
- 1 (16 ounce) package dry ziti pasta
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- 2 Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the ziti, and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain well in a colander set in the sink.
- 3 While pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage, and cook and stir until brown, about 10 minutes. Drain sausage and set aside.
- 4 Stir together the ricotta, egg, onion, garlic, and oregano in a large bowl until well combined. Stir in the drained pasta, the drained sausage, salt, pepper, and 1/2 jar of the spaghetti sauce; mix well.
- 5 In the prepared baking dish, cover the bottom with 1/3 jar of spaghetti sauce. Layer 1/2 of the pasta mixture, 1/3 jar of spaghetti sauce, and 1/2 of the shredded cheese. Then layer the remaining 1/2 of the pasta, 1/3 of the sauce, and 1/2 of the cheese. Sprinkle with basil. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- 6 Bake in the preheated oven until heated through, about 20 minutes. Uncover; return to the oven and bake until cheese is melted, 5 to 10 more minutes.
- Calories 649.4
- Carbohydrate 68.9 g
- Cholesterol 85.5 mg
- Fat 27.4 g
- Fiber 5.9 g
- Protein 30.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Sodium 1485.1 mg
- Sugar 14.9 g