The shallot sauce takes some time, but is well worth the trouble. This is definitely a company dish, and the recipe doubles well for a larger party. Serve with a green salad and roasted vegetables.
- ¾ pound shallots, halved lengthwise and peeled
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups beef broth
- ¾ cup port wine
- 1 ½ teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 pounds beef tenderloin roast, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 sprigs watercress, for garnish
- 1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In 9 inch pie pan, toss shallots with oil to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Roast until shallots are deep brown and very tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- 2 In a large saucepan, combine beef broth and port. Bring to a boil. Cook over high heat until the volume is reduced by half, about 30 minutes. Whisk in tomato paste. Set aside.
- 3 Pat beef dry; sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. In a large roasting pan, set over medium heat on the stove top, saute bacon until golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels. Add beef to pan; brown on all sides over medium high heat, about 7 minutes.
- 4 Transfer pan to oven. Roast beef until meat thermometer inserted into center registers 125 degrees F (50 degrees C) for medium rare, about 25 minutes. Transfer beef to platter. Tent loosely with foil.
- 5 Spoon fat off top of pan drippings in roasting pan. Place pan over high heat on stove top. Add broth mixture, and bring to boil; stir to scrape up any browned bits. Transfer to a medium saucepan, and bring to simmer. Mix 1 1/2 tablespoon butter and flour in small bowl to form smooth paste; whisk into broth mixture, and simmer until sauce thickens. Whisk in remaining butter. Stir in roasted shallots and reserved bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
- 6 Cut beef into 1/2 inch thick slices. Spoon some sauce over, and garnish with watercress.
- Calories 653.1
- Carbohydrate 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 132.1 mg
- Fat 50.6 g
- Fiber 0.6 g
- Protein 31.6 g
- Saturated Fat 20.4 g
- Sodium 645.2 mg
- Sugar 2.2 g