A delicious rich, creamy soup with beer, Gouda, Cheddar, bacon and chives. Perfect for those chilly days. This is my copycat recipe of a dish I had at a popular chain restaurant, where it is served with warm pretzel sticks. I also like to serve it with a warm pretzel roll.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 sweet onion (such as Vidalia), minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle light beer
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- ½ cup shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 Melt 1 teaspoon butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; add sweet onion and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir garlic into the onion; cook and stir together until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour light beer into the saucepan, bring to a simmer, and cook until onion is completely tender, about 10 minutes.
- 2 Stir chicken broth into the beer mixture; bring to a boil. Stream milk into the saucepan while stirring to form the base of the soup.
- 3 Heat 1/4 cup butter in a microwave-safe bowl in microwave oven until melted and hot, 30 to 60 seconds. Stir flour into the melted butter until the mixture binds into a roux; pour into the soup. Cook and stir soup until it begins to simmer and thicken, 7 to 10 minutes.
- 4 Remove soup from heat. Melt Gouda cheese and Cheddar cheese into the soup a handful at a time, stirring each addition into the liquid until smooth; season with black pepper. Ladle soup into bowls; garnish with bacon and chives to serve.
- Calories 322.3
- Carbohydrate 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 71.2 mg
- Fat 21.5 g
- Fiber 0.7 g
- Protein 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Sodium 1097.2 mg
- Sugar 6 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.