A great way to cook whole fryer chickens. I added my mopping sauce to keep the birds from drying out.
- 1 (3 pound) whole fryer chicken
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 2 limes, quartered
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice, or to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- ¾ (12 ounce) can beer
- 4 cups water
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
- 1 cup vinegar
- 6 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Squeeze lemon and lime quarters over the chicken. Mix garlic salt and allspice with salt and black pepper to taste in a bowl and rub the spices over the chicken skin; place squeezed lemon and lime quarters inside the chicken cavity. Place 3 tablespoons minced garlic into cavity. Wrap chicken in plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 to 8 hours.
- 2 Preheat grill for medium-low heat; a grill thermometer should read 275 degrees F (135 degrees C) with the lid closed.
- 3 Place remaining 3 tablespoons garlic into the partially full can of beer and sit chicken upright on the beer can, taking care not to lose any lemon and lime quarters and garlic.
- 4 Pour water, 1 12-ounce can of beer, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce into a saucepan over medium heat; stir in red onion, red bell pepper, 3 tablespoons minced garlic, salt, and black pepper. Bring the mopping sauce to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Set sauce aside.
- 5 Place chicken upright with beer can onto the preheated grill and cook until the skin is browned and the meat is no longer pink inside, about 2 hours. An instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a breast should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Use a brush to spread mopping sauce on the chicken every 30 minutes as it cooks. Discard leftover sauce.
- Calories 392.6
- Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Cholesterol 96.9 mg
- Fat 17.4 g
- Fiber 3.7 g
- Protein 33 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Sodium 1588.1 mg
- Sugar 3.8 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.