Bo Kho is the best beef stew I have ever eaten! It takes a bit of prep work, but so very worth it in the end! I always double this recipe.
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
- 2 ½ tablespoons grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 ½ pounds beef brisket, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained and crushed with your hands
- kosher salt to taste
- 3 cups water
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Trim ends off lemongrass and cut into 3-inch pieces. Pound gently with a heavy object until bruised.
- 2 Mix lemongrass stalk, fish sauce, ginger, applesauce, curry powder, five-spice powder, and bay leaf in a large bowl. Add beef; mix until coated. Let marinate in the refrigerator, about 30 minutes.
- 3 Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- 4 Drain excess marinade off beef, reserving lemongrass and bay leaf.
- 5 Melt ghee in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook beef in batches until browned, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer beef to a plate. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add onion; cook and stir until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and salt. Simmer until thickened into a paste, 12 to 14 minutes.
- 6 Stir beef, reserved lemongrass, and bay leaf into the tomato paste. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until flavors combine, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to high. Add water and carrots; bring to a boil.
- 7 Cover and cook in the preheated oven until beef is tender, about 2 1/2 hours. Garnish with cilantro.
- Calories 346.4
- Carbohydrate 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 70.6 mg
- Fat 24.6 g
- Fiber 3.2 g
- Protein 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Sodium 701.9 mg
- Sugar 7 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.