Stuffed bread filled with pork sausage, green peppers, mushrooms, and mozzarella cheese. You may make a dinner or lunch version by substituting Italian sausage, peppers, onions, pizza sauce, and cheese for the above ingredients.
- 2 (1 pound) loaves frozen white bread dough
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 pound ground spicy pork sausage
- ½ large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can canned mushrooms
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 Rub the frozen bread dough with vegetable oil, cover and allow to thaw overnight at room temperature.
- 2 Place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- 3 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 4 Roll out one loaf of bread and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Layer cooked sausage, green peppers, mushrooms, and cheese on top of bread. Leave 1 inch border at the edges bare. Roll out second loaf of bread and place over bread and filling. Enclose filling by pinching edges of both loaves together.
- 5 In a small bowl, beat together egg and water. Brush surface of roll with egg wash. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Calories 596.5
- Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Cholesterol 79 mg
- Fat 38.1 g
- Fiber 3.4 g
- Protein 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Sodium 1126.7 mg
- Sugar 3.8 g