- Published Apr 2nd
- Ready In1h 20m
Brodetto (Fish Stew) Ancona-Style Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Brodetto (Fish Stew) Ancona-Style for 6 servings:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
- 1 1/2 pounds red snapper fillets, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups fish stock
- 1 pound clams in shell, scrubbed
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, with shells
- 6 (3/4 inch thick) slices Italian bread, toasted
Brodetto (Fish Stew) Ancona-Style Cooking Instructions
- Ready In1h 20m
To cook Brodetto (Fish Stew) Ancona-Style, you need about 35 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Brodetto (Fish Stew) Ancona-Style is about 45 minutes , and you can serve your Brodetto (Fish Stew) Ancona-Style within 1 hour 20 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Brodetto (Fish Stew) Ancona-Style easily:
- 1 Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, Dutch oven, or preferably a clay pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery, bay leaves, parsley, and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 2 Stir in the mashed tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes over medium heat. Add the fish. Pour in the vinegar or wine. Cook until the liquid has almost evaporated, about 10 minutes; pour in the fish stock. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 3 Gently mix in the clams. Cook until clams have opened (discard any that don't open) about 2 minutes, and then stir in the shrimp. Cook until the shrimp are pink, about 3 minutes.
- 4 Place a slice of toasted bread in the bottom of each bowl. Ladle brodetto over the bread and serve immediately.
- Cook's Notes
- You can use 2 1/2 to 3 pounds of any mixed fish--swordfish, squid, red snapper, shrimp, clams, mussels, and lobster. Clean the clams and mussels well and put them into the stew whole. When I make brodetto for a large group, I cook the whole lobster in the stew, then remove the meat from the tail, chop it, and put it in the stew. I put the whole remaining lobster shell on top for presentation.
- Some versions of brodetto use saffron instead of red pepper flakes and white wine instead of vinegar. You can substitute rice for the bread, as well.
Per Serving: 395 calories; 7.4 grams of fat; 31.9 grams of carbohydrates; 48.3 grams of protein; 125 milligrams of cholesterol; 1006 milligrams of sodium.