This is my first attempt at making caldo de pollo. I think it turned out great. You might need to add salt to taste as my recipe doesn’t have very much. I like to serve this with warm corn tortillas and a side of Spanish rice and refried beans. Please enjoy and let me know what you think.
- 5 pounds chicken leg quarters
- 2 gallons water
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 zucchini, cut into large chunks
- 1 chayote, cut into large chunks
- 1 large white onion, cut into large chunks
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Place chicken legs into a large stock pot and pour water over chicken; add garlic, salt, and garlic powder. Cover, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Simmer until chicken meat falls off the bones, 1 to 2 hours. Stir in chicken bouillon cube and let dissolve.
- 2 Mix carrots, potatoes, zucchini, chayote, and white onion in the broth, turn heat to medium-low, and cook soup at a low boil until carrots and potatoes are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Stir chopped cilantro into soup, simmer for 5 minutes, and serve.
- Calories 605.7
- Carbohydrate 42.3 g
- Cholesterol 159.7 mg
- Fat 25.1 g
- Fiber 6.7 g
- Protein 51.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Sodium 2079.6 mg
- Sugar 5.8 g