This soup is so hearty and comforting, you’ll almost forget how good it is for you. And it’s perfect for cold weather with the spicy sausage, kale, potatoes, and plenty of chicken broth.
- 12 ounces linguica sausage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more as needed
- 2 quarts chicken broth or water
- 2 pounds kale - trimmed, chopped, rinsed, drained
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 Slice sausage into 1/4-inch rounds. Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage and saute until sausage begins to turn brown and renders some fat, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a dish. Reduce heat to medium-low; add onions and pinch of salt salt. Stir and cook until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 2 Transfer potatoes to pot. Sprinkle in 2 teaspoons salt. Pour in chicken broth. Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until potatoes are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 3 When potatoes are tender, carefully mash them in the broth with a potato masher until broken up or completely mashed. Add kale, a handful at a time. Transfer browned sausage to soup. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until greens are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Calories 564.8
- Carbohydrate 62.1 g
- Cholesterol 55.9 mg
- Fat 25.6 g
- Fiber 6.6 g
- Protein 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Sodium 2850.6 mg
- Sugar 4.3 g