This is my variation of a standard recipe. I like fresh basil and a little lemon rind, so those are basically my only changes. This is a quick and easy soup with flavors that impress all.
- ½ pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 5 ¾ cups chicken broth
- 2 cups finely sliced escarole (spinach may be substituted)
- 1 lemon, zested
- ½ cup orzo (rice-shaped pasta), uncooked
- grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- 1 Mix together the meat, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, basil, parsley, and green onions; shape into 3/4 inch balls.
- 2 Pour broth into a large saucepan over high heat. When boiling, drop in meatballs. Stir in escarole, lemon zest and orzo. Return to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cook at a slow boil for 10 minutes or until orzo is tender, stirring frequently. Serve sprinkled with cheese.
- Calories 158.9
- Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 55.3 mg
- Fat 5.6 g
- Fiber 1.4 g
- Protein 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Sodium 98.6 mg
- Sugar 1.1 g