- Published Oct 9th
- Ready In1h 20m
Canelés de Bordeaux Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Canelés de Bordeaux for 12 servings:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- For Greasing Pan:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons beeswax
Canelés de Bordeaux Cooking Instructions
- Ready In1h 20m
To cook Canelés de Bordeaux, you need about 15 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Canelés de Bordeaux is about 1 hour , and you can serve your Canelés de Bordeaux within 1 hour 20 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Canelés de Bordeaux easily:
- 1 Place flour, sugar, egg yolks, rum, vanilla extract, and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix and smear into a smooth paste using a spatula. Continue mixing until flour is fully incorporated.
- 2 Place butter and pour milk into a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. As soon as milk mixture comes to a simmer, remove from heat. Slowly add half the milk to the flour mixture to prevent the egg yolks from cooking. Whisk until well blended and smooth. Slowly pour in the rest of the milk mixture; whisk until batter is smooth. Batter will be thin.
- 3 Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- 4 Melt 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon butter and beeswax in a skillet over medium heat. Stir with a pastry brush. Remove from heat. Brush the bottom and the sides of each muffin cup generously with the butter/beeswax mixture.
- 5 Ladle batter into muffin cups until mixture is almost to the top. Place pan in preheated oven. Bake 10 minutes.
- 6 Reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake until canelés are very well browned, about 50 minutes.
- 7 Allow to cool just 5 minutes. Run a thin blade around the sides and carefully remove canelés from cups. Invert onto a cooling rack. Let cool completely to room temperature to create the crispy surface.
- Chef's Notes:
- If using fine salt instead of kosher, use 1/8 teaspoon instead of 1/4 teaspoon.
- Greasing the muffin tins with beeswax/butter is essential to achieve the classic texture and crispy exterior. Use only pure food-grade beeswax without any additives.
- These stay crispy for only about 8 hours. So, fair warning if you plan to make them a day ahead. I've never tried to re-crisp them.
Per Serving: 193 calories; 7 grams of fat; 26.7 grams of carbohydrates; 3.3 grams of protein; 83 milligrams of cholesterol; 73 milligrams of sodium.