Sweet caramelized onion tarts, bite-sized with superior taste.
- ½ stick butter
- 1 large sweet onion (such as Vidalia®), chopped
- ¼ cup red wine
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) package ready-to-use refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 2 Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat and stir in onion. Pour in red wine to cover the bottom of the pan and sprinkle with sugar. Cook and stir until onions are tender and translucent, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3 Combine heavy cream, mozzarella cheese, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper in a bowl. Stir into onion mixture.
- 4 Cut pie crusts into 3-inch circles using a cookie cutter. Place circles into the bottom of 12 muffin cups in a muffin tin.
- 5 Spoon onion mixture evenly on top of the tart crusts.
- 6 Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before popping tartlets out of the muffin tin.
- Calories 256.7
- Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Cholesterol 25.1 mg
- Fat 18.7 g
- Fiber 1.4 g
- Protein 3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Sodium 231.2 mg
- Sugar 2.7 g