Pureed carrot mixes with cream cheese in this very elegant cheesecake that also has a gingersnap and graham cracker crust.
- ¾ pound carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- ⅓ cup finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup gingersnap cookie crumbs
- ⅓ cup ground pecans
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground mace
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, diced and softened
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 1 Bring 4 cups of water to a boil, and cook carrots until very tender about 45 minutes. Drain cooked carrots. Return them to a moderate heat for a minute or so to cook off excess moisture.
- 2 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, gingersnap crumbs, 2/3 cup ground nuts, and sugar; toss well. Work in butter until mixture is crumbly. Pat over bottom and up sides of a buttered 9 inch springform pan. Bake the crust for 7 minutes. Turn oven down to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 3 Transfer carrots to food processor and puree for 30 seconds. Scrape down side, and puree again until absolutely smooth. Add brown sugar, ginger, lemon juice, orange zest, cinnamon, mace and allspice to the processor, and puree for 30 seconds. Scrape down sides, and repeat. Let mixture stand until cool.
- 4 Add cream cheese to cooled carrot mixture, and puree for 1 minute; scrape down sides every 20 seconds. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Pour batter into crust, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup chopped nuts.
- 5 Bake for about 50 minutes; cake tester will come out clean. Let cool. Cover loosely, and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.
- Calories 347.5
- Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Cholesterol 113.2 mg
- Fat 24.9 g
- Fiber 1.7 g
- Protein 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Sodium 203.5 mg
- Sugar 19.6 g