This is my mother-in law’s recipe. She serves it at Christmas time and it is delicious. If you are looking for ways to get your family to eat more vegetables try this out!
- 1 (16 ounce) package baby carrots, sliced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2 Place carrots and onions in a pot with enough lightly salted water to cover, and bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes, or until tender but firm. Drain, and spread 1/2 the carrots and onions in a baking dish. Cover with 3/4 cup cheese, layer with remaining carrots and onions, and top with remaining cheese.
- 3 In a saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter and mix in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk until thickened, and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the carrots, onions, and cheese in the baking dish.
- 4 Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small pot, and mix in bread crumbs. Sprinkle evenly in the baking dish.
- 5 Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until bubbly and lightly browned.
- Calories 225.4
- Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Cholesterol 33.8 mg
- Fat 12.2 g
- Fiber 2.8 g
- Protein 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Sodium 436.4 mg
- Sugar 6.9 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.