The addition of whipped cream into mashed potatoes is what makes them Chantilly mashed potatoes. I was skeptical, but this was one of the most outstanding alternative mashed potato recipes I’ve ever had. With a light and luxurious texture, it’s a perfect side dish for any holiday or special occasion.
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- kosher salt to taste
- ½ cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup cold heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1 Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F (245 degrees C).
- 2 Place potatoes into a pot, cover with fresh, cold water by 2 inches, and add 2 tablespoons kosher salt. Set heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until tender, testing by poking potatoes with a knife. The time will depend on the size of your potatoes but could be between 15 and 20 minutes.
- 3 Remove from the heat and let drain in a colander for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 4 Transfer into a large bowl and mash thoroughly with a potato masher until no lumps remain. Add butter, kosher salt, and Gruyere cheese. Mix and mash until everything has been incorporated.
- 5 Add cayenne, 3/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, and buttermilk, and mash until well combined. Taste and adjust for salt.
- 6 Whisk cream in a metal bowl until thick and fairly stiff peaks form, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour 1/2 of the whipped cream onto the potatoes and cut it in with the side of a spatula to lighten the mixture. Repeat with remaining whipped cream but do it carefully to preserve the maximum amount of volume, cutting in until just barely mixed.
- 7 Transfer into a well-buttered casserole dish and distribute gently with a fork. Smooth the top with a spoon if desired. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano on top and dust lightly with cayenne.
- 8 Place the baking dish on a pan and bake in the center of the preheated oven until beautifully browned, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 9 Remove from the oven and sprinkle with green onions before serving.
- Calories 376.3
- Carbohydrate 35.2 g
- Cholesterol 70.3 mg
- Fat 22.2 g
- Fiber 2.4 g
- Protein 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Sodium 210.5 mg
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.