This is a very cheesy and easy to make baked eggplant dish with an Italian flair. An excellent alternative to a pasta dish.
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or as needed
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach leaves
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- ¾ cup tomato pasta sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Brush eggplant slices with olive oil on both sides, and place them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle garlic powder over the top. Bake for 10 minutes.
- 2 Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, tomatoes and spinach. Cook and stir for a few minutes until fragrant, and the tomatoes have released their juices. In a medium bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- 3 Place the eggplant slices in a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with the spinach mixture. Spoon the cheese mixture over the spinach, and spread into a thin layer. Pour the spaghetti sauce over the cheese layer. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese over the top. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- 4 Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until heated through and the eggplant is easily pierced with a fork.
- Calories 244.1
- Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 20.7 mg
- Fat 16.1 g
- Fiber 5.4 g
- Protein 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Sodium 447.9 mg
- Sugar 6.7 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.