- Published Sep 3rd
- Ready In1h 15m
Chef John’s American Goulash Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Chef John’s American Goulash for 12 servings:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (24 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 cup shredded white Cheddar cheese (optional)
Chef John’s American Goulash Cooking Instructions
- Ready In1h 15m
To cook Chef John’s American Goulash, you need about 10 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Chef John’s American Goulash is about 1 hour , and you can serve your Chef John’s American Goulash within 1 hour 15 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Chef John’s American Goulash easily:
- 1 Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and ground beef. Cook, breaking the meat into small pieces, until browned, about 5 minutes. Cook and stir until liquid is evaporated, 3 to 5 minutes more. Add garlic, salt, black pepper, cayenne, paprika, Italian seasoning, and bay leaves.
- 2 Cook and stir until flavors come together, about 3 minutes. Pour in chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and marinara sauce. Rinse out the jar with 1 cup water and pour into the pot. Add soy sauce, stir, and bring soup to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and simmer to let flavors intensify, about 30 minutes.
- 3 Increase heat to medium-high and bring soup to a simmer. Add macaroni; simmer, stirring occasionally, until just barely tender, about 12 minutes. Check for doneness after 10 minutes.
- 4 Remove goulash from heat. Discard bay leaves; stir in parsley and Cheddar cheese. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Taste and season as desired.
- Chef's Notes:
- Make your own Italian herb mix with any desired blend of oregano, thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley, and basil.
- Feel free to swap water for chicken broth.
- You can also add beans to turn this into an excellent pasta fazool.
Per Serving: 336 calories; 17.3 grams of fat; 25.1 grams of carbohydrates; 18.9 grams of protein; 58 milligrams of cholesterol; 1169 milligrams of sodium.