- Published Apr 28th
- Ready In3h 35m
Chef John’s Classic Rice Pudding Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Chef John’s Classic Rice Pudding for 4 servings:
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 2 tablespoons dried cherries, chopped
Chef John’s Classic Rice Pudding Cooking Instructions
- Ready In3h 35m
To cook Chef John’s Classic Rice Pudding, you need about 5 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Chef John’s Classic Rice Pudding is about 30 minutes , and you can serve your Chef John’s Classic Rice Pudding within 3 hours 35 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Chef John’s Classic Rice Pudding easily:
- 1 Place rice, salt, and water into a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat; sprinkle with sugar and pour in milk. Stir with a whisk until until the thin layer of cooked-on starch at the bottom of the pan is cleared and incorporated into the mixture, 2 or 3 minutes.
- 2 Place pan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until it reaches your desired of level of doneness and creaminess, 8 to 10 minutes. The longer it cooks, the thicker and stickier it will be. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and cinnamon. Very quickly whisk in the egg yolk (to prevent it from cooking). Whisk for about 1 more minute. Add butter and dried cherries; stir thoroughly.
- 3 Transfer warm pudding to serving dishes. Cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, 3 to 4 hours.
- Chef's Tips:
- If you're nervous about adding the egg yolk to the hot pudding, you can also place the yolk in a bowl, add a small amount of pudding to it, and whisk together. Transfer mixture to the pudding.
- Serving ideas: Simply dust top with cinnamon or fresh fruit. Or finish it like a crème brulee: Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of sugar onto the pudding. Melt the sugar with a chef's torch until crisp and dark brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.
Per Serving: 235 calories; 5.7 grams of fat; 39.6 grams of carbohydrates; 5.4 grams of protein; 65 milligrams of cholesterol; 180 milligrams of sodium.