This has all the rich lemony goodness of regular lemon curd with fewer calories and a little less fat. Use it for lemon tarts, on pancakes, or a filling for layer cakes.
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature - cut into 1-tablespoon chunks
- 1 Place a saucepan containing several inches of water over medium heat and bring water to a simmer.
- 2 Place eggs into a metal mixing bowl and add sugar and lemon juice. Place bowl over pan containing simmering water and whisk continuously until mixture foams and becomes thick, hot, and smooth, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 3 Remove from the heat; whisk in lemon zest and unsalted butter. Continue whisking constantly until butter melts and incorporates into the lemon curd. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, pushing the plastic wrap onto the surface of the lemon curd. Refrigerate until chilled and lemon curd has set up, at least 1 hour. Stir before serving.
- Calories 224.8
- Carbohydrate 27.8 g
- Cholesterol 118.4 mg
- Fat 12.1 g
- Fiber 0.3 g
- Protein 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Sodium 36.7 mg
- Sugar 25.9 g