Are you tired of blondies or bored with brownies? Then it’s time to try these Greenies, a brownie-like confection made with pistachios and flavored with orange zest.
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shelled dry-roasted pistachio nuts
- ½ teaspoon salt to taste (see footnote)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup miniature chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon orange juice, or as needed
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, or as needed
- 1 Whisk 2 tablespoons orange zest into melted butter in a mixing bowl, followed by white sugar, until sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes. Whisk in eggs until light and fluffy, about 2 more minutes. Stir 1 tablespoon orange juice, milk, and vanilla extract into egg mixture.
- 2 Place pistachios into a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground. Add salt, baking powder, and flour to pistachios; pulse until combined, 3 to 4 times. Stir pistachio mixture into wet ingredients until batter is combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- 3 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; generously butter a 9x9-inch square baking dish.
- 4 Spread batter into prepared baking dish. Tap the dish several times on a sturdy work surface to eliminate air bubbles.
- 5 Bake in the preheated oven until top is lightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 6 Stir 1 tablespoon orange juice with 2 teaspoons orange zest in a small bowl; mix in confectioners' sugar to form a thin, runny glaze. Drizzle glaze on top of pistachio bars and spread to cover top. Cut into squares once cooled.
- Calories 292.4
- Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Cholesterol 51.4 mg
- Fat 20.1 g
- Fiber 2.8 g
- Protein 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Sodium 272.2 mg
- Sugar 16.1 g