- Published Jun 8th
- Ready In1h
Chef John’s Pasta con le Sarde Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Chef John’s Pasta con le Sarde for 4 servings:
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 pound bucatini pasta
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced fennel bulb
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 2 (4 ounce) cans sardines packed in oil, drained and crumbled
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds, or more to taste
Chef John’s Pasta con le Sarde Cooking Instructions
- Ready In1h
To cook Chef John’s Pasta con le Sarde, you need about 25 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Chef John’s Pasta con le Sarde is about 35 minutes , and you can serve your Chef John’s Pasta con le Sarde within 1 hour . The following are the steps to cook Chef John’s Pasta con le Sarde easily:
- 1 Cook and stir bread crumbs with 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat until bread crumbs are crispy and toasted, 2 to 5 minutes. Transfer breadcrumbs to a bowl to cool.
- 2 Grind saffron threads with a mortar and pestle; pour white wine into mortar and stir to combine.
- 3 Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook bucatini in boiling water, stirring occasionally until almost cooked through but firm to the bite, 10 to 11 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- 4 Heat remaining olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion and fennel with a pinch of salt in hot oil until onion is soft, about 10 minutes.
- 5 Stir raisins, garlic, and anchovy fillet into onion mixture; cook and stir until heated through, about 1 minute.
- 6 Pour saffron-wine into skillet; cook until wine is almost evaporated, about 2 minutes. Pour 1 ladleful reserved pasta water into skillet and bring to a simmer. Stir pine nuts and red pepper flakes into sauce; simmer until flavors combine and sauce is reduced, about 5 minutes.
- 7 Stir bucatini and sardines into wine mixture; increase heat to high, and cook, stirring frequently and adding more reserved pasta water as necessary, until sauce and pasta are heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Ladle into bowls and top with fennel fronds and toasted bread crumbs.
Per Serving: 709 calories; 33.3 grams of fat; 72.2 grams of carbohydrates; 27.5 grams of protein; 81 milligrams of cholesterol; 532 milligrams of sodium.