- Published Oct 9th
- Ready In50m
Chef John’s Scotch Eggs Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Chef John’s Scotch Eggs for 6 servings:
- oil for frying
- 6 cold large eggs
- 21 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs, or as needed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, or as needed
- 2 eggs, beaten
Chef John’s Scotch Eggs Cooking Instructions
- Ready In50m
To cook Chef John’s Scotch Eggs, you need about 20 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Chef John’s Scotch Eggs is about 15 minutes , and you can serve your Chef John’s Scotch Eggs within 50 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Chef John’s Scotch Eggs easily:
- 1 Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2 Fill a saucepan with 1/2-inch water; bring to a boil. Carefully place cold eggs into saucepan, cover the saucepan with a lid, reduce heat to medium-high, and cook until eggs yolks are soft, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and pour cold water over eggs to halt the cooking process. Cool eggs to room temperature in cold water; peel and dry eggs on paper towels.
- 3 Mix sausage, mustard, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl. Shape into 6 equal-size balls.
- 4 Lay a piece of plastic wrap on a flat work surface. Place 1 ball of sausage mixture into the center of the plastic wrap, fold the plastic wrap over sausage, and flatten into an 1/8-inch thick oval shape. Pull plastic wrap back and place 1 egg in the center of the sausage. Pick up plastic wrap, moisten fingertips, and press sausage around egg to cover completely, sealing sausage around egg. Repeat with remaining eggs and sausage.
- 5 Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Pour flour into another shallow bowl. Beat remaining 2 eggs in another shallow bowl.
- 6 Gently press eggs into flour to coat; shake off excess flour. Dip eggs into the beaten egg, then press into bread crumbs. Gently toss between your hands so any bread crumbs that haven't stuck can fall away. Place the breaded eggs onto a plate.
- 7 Working in batches, cook eggs in the preheated oil until golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool, at least 5 minutes.
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of breading ingredients. The actual amount of breading consumed will vary. We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 542 calories; 40.5 grams of fat; 24 grams of carbohydrates; 24.3 grams of protein; 286 milligrams of cholesterol; 996 milligrams of sodium.