Sopa de Ajo is a wonderfully rustic bread soup spiked with sliced garlic, paprika, and ham. If that wasn’t enough to get your attention, it’s also topped with eggs poached in a fragrant, brick-red broth. It’s like a steaming bowl of breakfast-for-dinner.
- 6 cups cubed French bread
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced, or more to taste
- 2 ounces ham, diced
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika, or to taste
- 6 cups chicken broth, or more as needed
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 large eggs
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- 2 Spread French bread onto the prepared baking sheet and drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over the top; gently stir to coat bread.
- 3 Bake in the preheated oven until crispy and lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 4 Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a heavy pot over medium heat. Cook and stir garlic in hot oil until just golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Add ham; cook and stir until heated through, about 1 minute. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of paprika and cook for 1 minute more. Pour bread into pot and toss to coat with hot oil mixture.
- 5 Pour chicken broth into bread mixture; add cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper and stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and stir in parsley.
- 6 Crack each egg into a small bowl or cup. Make 4 depressions in the bread on top of the soup with a spoon. Slowly pour an egg into each depression. Cover the pot with a lid and cook until egg whites are firm and yolks are thick but not hard, 2 to 3 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls and spoon an egg on top.
- Calories 447
- Carbohydrate 33.7 g
- Cholesterol 201.3 mg
- Fat 26.8 g
- Fiber 1.7 g
- Protein 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Sodium 2072.9 mg
- Sugar 3.3 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.