- Published May 15th
- Ready In1h 20m
Chef John’s Tuna Noodle Casserole Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Chef John’s Tuna Noodle Casserole for 8 servings:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups cold milk
- 1 cup shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 1 (12 ounce) package dry egg noodles
- 2 (5.5 ounce) cans tuna packed in olive oil, drained and crumbled, or to taste
- 3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed and drained
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Chef John’s Tuna Noodle Casserole Cooking Instructions
- Ready In1h 20m
To cook Chef John’s Tuna Noodle Casserole, you need about 15 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Chef John’s Tuna Noodle Casserole is about 55 minutes , and you can serve your Chef John’s Tuna Noodle Casserole within 1 hour 20 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Chef John’s Tuna Noodle Casserole easily:
- 1 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly butter a 9x13-inch casserole dish.
- 2 Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt until it starts to soften up and turn translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the flour, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, reducing heat if needed.
- 3 Pour in cold milk and whisk for 1 minute. Raise heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, until the sauce thickens and comes to a simmer. Remove from heat, whisk in Cheddar cheese, and reserve until needed.
- 4 Fill a large pot with water and remaining salt and bring to a rapid boil. Cook egg noodles for 5 minutes. Drain well and add to a large mixing bowl. Stir in the reserved sauce, followed by tuna, peas, cayenne, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix with a spatula until evenly combined.
- 5 Pour the mixture into the prepared dish. Mix bread crumbs, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, and olive oil together in a small bowl until combined and resembling wet sand. Sprinkle evenly over the casserole.
- 6 Bake in the center of the preheated oven until browned and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Chef's Notes:
- You can use melted butter instead of olive oil for the topping.
- Cook egg noodles for 1 minute less than their individual package instructions call for.
- If you have them around, crushed up potato chips might be the best topping for this instead of bread crumbs.
Per Serving: 511 calories; 22.8 grams of fat; 46.2 grams of carbohydrates; 29.7 grams of protein; 86 milligrams of cholesterol; 809 milligrams of sodium.