My family has been on a quinoa fix for some time and this has been one of our favorite creations! A great alternative to pasta that you can feel great about. Also, this is a great use for leftover chicken! Leftovers hold well in the fridge….if any of it gets that far!
- ¼ cup sunflower seed oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups quinoa
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- 4 cups water
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 (5 ounce) cans chicken chunks, drained
- 2 cups Alfredo sauce
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- ¼ cup butter, cut into small pieces
- ¾ cup shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
- 1 ½ cups crushed pita chips
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 Heat sunflower oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion and garlic until onion is slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Add quinoa and chicken bouillon; cook, stirring frequently, until quinoa is toasted, 5 to 8 minutes.
- 2 Pour water over quinoa mixture and bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir thyme and parsley into quinoa mixture and simmer until water is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and fluff quinoa with a fork.
- 3 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 4 Spread quinoa mixture into the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle chicken over quinoa. Spoon Alfredo sauce and cream of chicken soup over chicken layer; top with butter pieces. Sprinkle 1/2 cup Italian cheese blend over entire mixture.
- 5 Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Stir mixture and flatten with the back of spoon or spatula; top with pita chips and remaining 1/4 cup Italian cheese blend. Bake until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. Cool casserole for 5 minutes; top with Parmesan cheese.
- Calories 678.9
- Carbohydrate 46.7 g
- Cholesterol 75.9 mg
- Fat 44.4 g
- Fiber 5.1 g
- Protein 23.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.3 g
- Sodium 1318.9 mg
- Sugar 4 g