This is a great way to enjoy a high protein and low carbohydrate meal. My friends at work can verify this as a very yummy soup! They all came at my lunch with their soup spoons poised and none went away without smacking their lips. Enjoy! This is a delicate flavor that can be served with a light and fruity white wine, and for those bread lovers, a crusty, sweet peasant loaf.
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cream sherry
- 1 ½ cups sliced crimini mushrooms
- ¼ cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup half-and-half cream
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken soup base
- 1 Heat oil and butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on both sides then reduce heat to medium. Add lemon pepper, fennel and cream sherry. Simmer until chicken is cooked through but not dry. When chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan and set aside to cool.
- 2 While chicken is cooling, add mushrooms, red pepper, parsley, buttermilk, half and half, water and chicken soup base; stir. Tear chicken into bite sized pieces and return them to the soup. Heat until warmed through but do not boil, mushrooms and peppers should still be firm.
- Calories 221.4
- Carbohydrate 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 51.2 mg
- Fat 9.5 g
- Fiber 2.9 g
- Protein 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Sodium 763.5 mg
- Sugar 3.8 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.