Published Feb 24th
Prep 20m Cook 70m Additional 1h Ready In 150m
Servings 2 Calories 691 kcal
Think savory French toast soaked in an eggy batter and topped with a whole chicken leg.
- 2 chicken drumsticks
- 0.25 cup diced carrot
- 0.25 cup diced celery
- 0.25 cup diced onion
- 2 cups chicken broth
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 0.33 cup creme fraiche or heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 thick slices day old French bread (1 to 1 1/2 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon butter for browning bread, plus a teaspoon for greasing pan
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 0.25 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 0.5 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Combine chicken drumsticks, carrots, onions, celery, and broth in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Turn drumsticks over, cover, and cook for another 20 minutes.
- 2 Remove chicken and transfer to a plate. Allow to cool, wrap, and transfer into the refrigerator until needed.
- 3 Turn heat to medium-high and reduce cooking liquids in the saucepan to about 1/3 cup. Strain liquid into a mixing bowl, pressing some of the cooked vegetables through the sieve. Season gravy with black pepper, salt, thyme leaves, lemon zest, and cayenne; add creme fraiche and eggs and whisk everything together until a smooth batter forms.
- 4 Place bread in a shallow baking dish just large enough to fit the slices, and pour over the batter. Toss several times, wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour or until almost all the batter is absorbed.
- 5 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly grease with butter.
- 6 Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat and brown bread for a few minutes per side. Transfer bread onto the prepared baking sheet.
- 7 Press one drumstick into the top of each slice of bread. Brush over any excess batter. Sprinkle with salt, dust with Parmesan cheese, and finish with a shake of cayenne.
- 8 Bake in the preheated oven until nicely browned, 30 to 35 minutes.
- 9 Mix together maple syrup, Sriracha hot sauce, and cayenne pepper in a little bowl ("dragon syrup").
- 10 Serve chicken leg toast drizzled with dragon syrup.
- Calories 691 kcal
- Carbohydrate 54 g
- Cholesterol 351 mg
- Fiber 2 g
- Protein 36 g
- Saturated Fat 18 g
- Sodium 2946 mg
- Fat 38 g