In this recipe, chicken shawarma becomes an ingredient in a salad, instead of a main dish. We like to use romaine, but you may use any lettuce or combination of greens you like.
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 (4 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons honey, or to taste
- cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, sliced into 1/2-inch rings
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- 1 Combine olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, coriander, cardamom, paprika, turmeric, cayenne pepper, salt, and garlic in a blender or small food processor. Pulse to combine.
- 2 Measure 1/2 cup marinade into a bowl and set aside.
- 3 Pour the remaining marinade into a 1-gallon resealable bag and add chicken thighs. Squeeze as much air out of the bag as possible, seal, and refrigerate, at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours. Chicken thighs should be in a single layer; turn the bag occasionally.
- 4 Stir tahini and honey into the bowl with the reserved marinade, cover, and refrigerate until ready to make the salad.
- 5 Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) and lightly oil a broiler pan.
- 6 Place onion slices on the oiled pan, and set chicken thighs on top of the onion slices.
- 7 Roast in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Turn and continue roasting until chicken is longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, about 15 more minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Broil chicken thighs for 3 to 5 minutes for some caramelization, if desired.
- 8 Remove chicken from the oven, tent with foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Slice each chicken thigh into 1/2- inch slices and coarsely chop cooked onion.
- 9 Dress 4 salad plates with lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Add chicken slices and chopped onions. Stir dressing, drizzle over each salad, and serve.
- Calories 722.8
- Carbohydrate 30 g
- Cholesterol 70.7 mg
- Fat 58.2 g
- Fiber 5.2 g
- Protein 24.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Sodium 674.8 mg
- Sugar 18 g