These scones are made with Amarena cherries, which refers to a variety of dark wild cherry from the Bologna and Modena regions of Italy. They are typically sold preserved in a sweet syrup. They have an intense sweet cherry flavor, and pair perfectly with chocolate.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup Amarena cherries in syrup, drained and halved (syrup reserved)
- ¼ cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons milk
- 1 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 2 Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 3 or 4 times to mix. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, 20 to 25 times. Pour mixture into a large bowl. Fold in cherries and chocolate chips, making sure they are well coated with the dry ingredients.
- 3 Mix together 1/2 cup heavy cream, egg, and 1 tablespoon cherry syrup together with a fork in a small bowl until well combined. Stir into flour mixture and mix just until slightly moistened.
- 4 Turn dough out onto a well floured surface. Gather dough in a circle using floured hands, kneading only slightly to incorporate any remaining dry ingredients. Flatten dough into a 9-inch round disc; cut disc into 8 triangles. Transfer scones using a bench scraper onto the prepared baking sheets (4 scones per baking sheet). Brush scones with 1 tablespoon heavy cream.
- 5 Bake in the preheated oven until light brown, 20 to 23 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- 6 Mix powdered sugar and milk together in a small bowl. Transfer to a small resealable plastic bag. Snip one corner off of the bag with a pair of scissors, and drizzle glaze on cooled scones.
- Calories 392.4
- Carbohydrate 49.5 g
- Cholesterol 76.7 mg
- Fat 20.3 g
- Fiber 1.4 g
- Protein 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Sodium 332.3 mg
- Sugar 15.3 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.