This Christmas cookie recipe is my grandmother’s and is a favorite in our family. The cookies are delicious with the chocolate chips, candy cane and nuts in them. They make wonderful gifts during the holidays! Baking them on parchment paper makes cleanup so much easier.
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons crushed candy canes
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- 2 Beat egg whites in a clean glass or metal bowl until foamy. Add salt and cream of tartar, and continue beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar while continuing to beat to stiff peaks. When the meringue is stiff remove from the mixer. Stir in vanilla and fold in candy canes, chocolate chips and walnuts. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets. If you can't bake all of the cookies at once, store the extra in the refrigerator until the other ones are done.
- 3 Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until dry enough to easily peel off of the cookie sheet. Cool cookies then store in an airtight tin.
- Calories 39.8
- Carbohydrate 5.3 g
- Fat 2.1 g
- Fiber 0.3 g
- Protein 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Sodium 7.3 mg
- Sugar 4.6 g