My mother is full-blooded Sicilian. Christmas Eve we celebrated the Vigil and had 7 fish dishes. Since my children were not super fans of anything more than shrimp, I made manicotti to add to the squid and octopus they didn’t like. The crepes and the fluffy cheese and spinach filling are sure to satisfy vegetarians as well.
- 4 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ cups milk
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or more as needed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach - thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups prepared marinara sauce, or as needed
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, or to taste
- 1 Whisk 4 eggs and 1/4 teaspoon salt together in a bowl; gradually whisk flour into eggs, alternating with milk, to make a smooth batter. Whisk melted butter into batter; refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- 2 Pour vegetable oil into a small bowl. Heat a small skillet over medium heat; brush skillet with vegetable oil using a pastry brush. Ladle in enough batter to lightly cover the bottom of the skillet, about 1/4 cup; swirl skillet to cover bottom completely. Cook crepe until it turns lightly golden brown on the bottom; flip and cook until other side has small brown spots. Repeat with remaining batter, brushing the skillet with oil as needed to prevent crepes from sticking; set cooked crepes aside between layers of waxed paper.
- 3 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 4 Lightly mix spinach, ricotta cheese, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, green onion, onion powder, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 2 eggs in a bowl until filling is thoroughly combined.
- 5 Spread 1 cup marinara sauce into the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Place a crepe onto a work surface and spoon about 3 tablespoons filling, or more as needed, in a line down the center of each crepe. Roll crepe over filling and set into sauce in pan; repeat with remaining crepes and filling, laying filled crepes into pan. Spread remaining marinara sauce over filled crepes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- 6 Bake in the preheated oven until bubbling and mozzarella cheese is melted and slightly browned, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Calories 505.1
- Carbohydrate 42.1 g
- Cholesterol 203.1 mg
- Fat 26.4 g
- Fiber 3.7 g
- Protein 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Sodium 886.4 mg
- Sugar 10.1 g