Published Apr 2nd
Prep 15m Cook 40m Additional - Ready In 55m
Servings 6 servings Calories 681.1
A wonderful clam chowder to serve with hot sourdough bread, or even better yet, in a sourdough bread bowl. My whole family adores this recipe, I’m sure yours will too!
- ½ pound bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 5 unpeeled potatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans chopped clams with juice
- 2 (1.8 ounce) packages dry leek soup mix
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 1 Place the bacon in a large pot and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisped and browned, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, leaving the drippings in the pot. Set the bacon aside. Stir the potatoes and carrots into the bacon fat. Season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 2 Pour the juice from the clams into the pot, and add enough water to just cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are just tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3 Gently stir the leek soup mix into the potatoes until no lumps of soup remain. Stir in the clams, reserved bacon, and half-and-half cream. Cook and stir until the chowder returns to a simmer and thickens, about 10 minutes more.
- Calories 681.1
- Carbohydrate 53.5 g
- Cholesterol 128.3 mg
- Fat 38.7 g
- Fiber 5.1 g
- Protein 30.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.2 g
- Sodium 1338 mg
- Sugar 2.6 g