For a hearty morning meal, preheat the waffle iron. These whole-grain waffles will satisfy a sweet tooth with minimal added sugars and saturated fat. Try the variations we’ve provided or substitute for the milk, spread, crunch, and sweetener and customize the waffles to your taste (see below).
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cups refrigerated unsweetened coconut milk beverage
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup plain coconut milk yogurt
- ½ cup toasted unsweetened coconut chips
- 8 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 Stir together flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Stir together coconut milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla in another bowl.
- 2 Make a well in the flour mixture and pour in the egg mixture all at once. Stir just until moistened. (Batter will be slightly lumpy.)
- 3 Preheat a waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions.
- 4 Lightly grease the preheated waffle iron and spoon 1/2 cup batter onto the surface. Close and cook until waffle is golden brown and the iron stops steaming, 3 to 5 minutes. Repeat to cook remaining waffles.
- 5 Top each waffle with 1 tablespoon yogurt, 1 tablespoon coconut chips, and 1 teaspoon agave nectar.
- Calories 415.5
- Carbohydrate 33.2 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Fat 30.5 g
- Fiber 4.4 g
- Protein 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Sodium 271.4 mg