Want a delicious, tender, juicy and BEAUTIFUL turkey? Try what my Grandpa taught me when I was just a little girl. I’ve ALWAYS made my turkey this way and it always turns out great. And besides, you get LOTS of wide eyed looks! The idea behind the cola is that the acid in the soda helps to tenderize the bird, the sugar and caramel gives it just a hint of sweetness, and the coloring helps to give the bird a beautiful roasted color. Enjoy!!
- 1 (16 pound) whole turkey - thawed, neck and giblets removed
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups cola-flavored carbonated beverage (such as Coke®)
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- 2 Wash the turkey well, and pat dry with paper towels. Use your hands to slather the whole turkey, front and back, with butter. Make sure to butter the wing tips and leg ends. Place the turkey into a roasting pan, and pour the cola over the turkey. Sprinkle the whole turkey with salt and black pepper.
- 3 Roast the turkey for 4 to 5 hours, checking for doneness after 4 hours. Baste the turkey every 30 minutes with the turkey drippings. If the breast skin browns too quickly, cover it with aluminum foil. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 180 degrees F (82 degrees C). Remove the turkey from the oven, cover with a doubled sheet of aluminum foil, and allow to rest in a warm area 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
- Calories 993
- Carbohydrate 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 378 mg
- Fat 50.1 g
- Protein 122.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Sodium 352.8 mg
- Sugar 4.6 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.