This delicious chipotle dish is paleo friendly and a crowd pleaser. Serve in taco or burrito shells with cilantro-lime rice, black beans, salsa, cheese, and your other favorite toppings for a great Mexican-inspired meal.
- 5 dried chipotle chile peppers
- ½ medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 ½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (3 pound) beef shoulder roast, trimmed
- ¾ cup beef broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 Slice open chile peppers and remove most of the seeds. Discard seeds and stems. Roughly chop and transfer to the bowl of a food processor.
- 2 Add onion, lime juice, tomato paste, vinegar, garlic, cumin, salt, and oregano to the peppers; pulse until smooth.
- 3 Place beef roast into a slow cooker and spread pureed mixture over top. Add broth, bay leaves, and cloves.
- 4 Cover and cook on Low until beef is tender and can be easily pulled apart with a fork, about 7 hours.
- 5 Remove beef from the slow cooker and shred meat. Return meat to the slow cooker, cover, and cook for 1 more hour. Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Calories 185.7
- Carbohydrate 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 51.7 mg
- Fat 12.9 g
- Fiber 0.6 g
- Protein 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Sodium 513.7 mg
- Sugar 1 g