This is a versatile, healthy salad that can easily be eaten as the main meal for lunch.
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 cup lentils
- ½ cup bulgur
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, or more to taste
- 3 roma (plum) tomatoes, seeded and diced, or more to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or to taste
- 1 Bring water and lentils to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until lentils are almost tender, about 15 minutes; add bulgur and salt. Cover saucepan and remove from heat; set aside until bulgur is tender and water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- 2 Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion and garlic until until tender and fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and red bell pepper; cook and stir until red bell pepper is tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- 3 Combine bulgur-lentil mixture and vegetable mixture in a bowl; add balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons olive oil and toss to coat.
- Calories 170.6
- Carbohydrate 25.7 g
- Fat 4.5 g
- Fiber 9.8 g
- Protein 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Sodium 9.6 mg
- Sugar 3.4 g