This recipe is from my mom. Makes a very crusty bread. You can substitute half of the flour amount with whole wheat flour.
- 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 In a large bowl dissolve the yeast in the warm water or potato water. Add sugar and salt and mix well. Stir in 7 cups of the flour.
- 2 On a well-floured surface, knead dough for 7 minutes, incorporating in the last cup of flour. Place dough in a greased bowl. Let rise until doubled.
- 3 Using a lightly floured board, form dough into 2 long or round loaves. Sprinkle cornmeal on greased baking sheet; place loaves on top. Slash top with a sharp knife. Cover, and let rise until almost doubled.
- 4 Brush top of loaves with cold water. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired. Place in a cold oven.
- 5 Turn oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Bake for 45 minutes, or until nicely browned. Brush twice during baking time with cold water.
- Calories 158.3
- Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Fat 0.6 g
- Fiber 1.3 g
- Protein 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Sodium 291.8 mg
- Sugar 0.6 g