This recipe makes three rolls of dough, which can be frozen until ready to bake.
- 1 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 Cream the butter and brown sugar together in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Sift the cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and flour together in a second mixing bowl. Slowly stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture until evenly blended.
- 2 Divide the dough evenly into three portions and place each on a square of waxed paper. Wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- 3 Meanwhile, make the filling by combine the dates, pecans, water and white sugar in a saucepan set over low heat. Cook and stir until the filling has a paste-like consistency. Cool slightly.
- 4 Working with one portion at a time, roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to make a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Spread 1/3 of the filling evenly over the dough; roll up to make a log. Repeat the process with the remaining dough. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- 5 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Lightly grease two baking sheets.
- 6 Using a sharp, serrated knife, cut the rolls into 1/4 inch slices. Place the slices on prepared baking sheets.
- 7 Bake in preheated oven until set and lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Cool on racks.
- Calories 122.5
- Carbohydrate 19.1 g
- Cholesterol 17.4 mg
- Fat 4.7 g
- Fiber 0.7 g
- Protein 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Sodium 47.8 mg
- Sugar 11.3 g