- Published Jan 1st
- Ready In2h 30m
Deep Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cake Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Deep Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cake for 12 servings:
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 3/4 cups milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Seven-Minute Frosting
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint hard candies
- 3 drops red food coloring
Deep Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cake Cooking Instructions
- Ready In2h 30m
To cook Deep Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cake, you need about 30 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Deep Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cake is about 30 minutes , and you can serve your Deep Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cake within 2 hours 30 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Deep Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cake easily:
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9-inch round pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- 2 Sift together the cake flour and salt.
- 3 Melt chocolate and butter together in a double boiler. Turn into mixing bowl, and cool to room temperature; this mixture must be cool. Mix in the sugar. Blend in egg yolks and 1 cup milk.
- 4 Pour in the flour and salt, and mix just until incorporated. Beat batter with electric mixer for 1 minute, and then blend in vanilla and 1/2 cup milk. Dissolve baking soda in the remaining 1/4 cup milk; stir into the batter quickly and thoroughly. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- 5 Bake in the preheated oven until the surface of the cakes spring back lightly when pressed with a finger, about 30 minutes. Cool cakes on wire racks.
- 6 Prepare Seven Minute Frosting, omitting vanilla (see Footnote for link). Tint the frosting a delicate pink with a few drops of food coloring, and add 1/4 cup crushed candy. Frost and fill the cooled cake. Garnish with bits of crushed candy.
- Click here for the Seven Minute Frosting recipe.
- Cook's Note:
- This cake can also be baked in a 13x9x2-inch pan for about 45 minutes, or in two 9x9x2-inch square pans for about 30 minutes.
- Editor's Note:
- The nutrition data for this recipe does not include the frosting ingredients. The actual amount of the frosting consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 363 calories; 10.4 grams of fat; 66.3 grams of carbohydrates; 4.8 grams of protein; 47 milligrams of cholesterol; 300 milligrams of sodium.