- Published Aug 13th
- Ready In45m
This was my grandmother’s and mother’s recipe. It is 125 plus years old. If you are going to fry anything, let it be a frying size chicken. Cut your calories some other way! Start a new tradition, as I have, of fried chicken on Christmas Day!
Deep South Fried Chicken Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Deep South Fried Chicken for 8 servings:
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (2 to 3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
Deep South Fried Chicken Cooking Instructions
- Ready In45m
To cook Deep South Fried Chicken, you need about 10 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Deep South Fried Chicken is about 35 minutes , and you can serve your Deep South Fried Chicken within 45 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Deep South Fried Chicken easily:
- 1 Heat the shortening in a large, cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- 2 In a brown paper lunch bag, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Shake two chicken pieces in the bag to coat, and place them in the skillet. Repeat until all of the chicken is coated and in the skillet.
- 3 Fry the chicken over medium-high heat until all of the pieces have been browned on both sides. Turn the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 25 minutes. Remove the lid, and increase heat to medium-high. Continue frying until chicken pieces are a deep golden brown, and the juices run clear.
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 351 calories; 14.7 grams of fat; 26.5 grams of carbohydrates; 26 grams of protein; 72 milligrams of cholesterol; 358 milligrams of sodium.