Make this because it tastes awesome. What the hot oven does to the deep red San Marzano tomatoes is a wonder to behold, and produces a pasta sauce with some serious depth of flavor. The always entertaining ditalini are a perfect medium for the rich sauce, smoky oregano, and creamy goat cheese.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole Italian plum tomatoes (such as San Marzano)
- ½ onion, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) package ditalini pasta
- 2 tablespoons fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- 2 Drizzle olive oil over the bottom of a 9x13-inch casserole dish. Pour tomatoes and their juices into the dish; cut each tomato into 3 pieces. Sprinkle in onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, and 2 teaspoons oregano; stir to combine.
- 3 Roast in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Remove dish from oven, stir briefly, return to oven and roast for an additional 15 minutes.
- 4 Transfer roasted tomato mixture to a saucepan; pour in water. Process mixture with an immersion blender or potato masher until desired sauce consistency is reached. Stir in 1 teaspoon oregano. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Set aside.
- 5 Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the ditalini and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through but is still firm to the bite, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well and return to pot.
- 6 Pour tomato sauce over ditalini; stir to combine. Stir in goat cheese.
- Calories 400.5
- Carbohydrate 64 g
- Cholesterol 1.9 mg
- Fat 11.1 g
- Fiber 4.1 g
- Protein 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2 g
- Sodium 207.3 mg
- Sugar 6 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.